There once was a time when I used to envy the Black Friday Sales happening abroad. Who wouldn’t want the chance to get their favourite clothes at steep discounts?! Fortunately, the Black Friday sale trend was initiated in Pakistan and I got my chance. However that was before I saw the shocking videos of women going berserk, thrashing and gnawing at each other over clothes. When I heard L’atelier was hosting a Black Friday Sale as well, I was slightly terrified because those videos kept playing in my head. But boy, was I in for a surprise! The customers were so civilized and the atmosphere removed all my inhibitions. I got a cool peach chiffon dress by Mehdi and those snazzy 9lines diaries just because they were available at such incredible prices. Check them out!
Getting married is an exciting time, but it can also be stressful with all the planning. Here are the 5 most important things to do as soon as you say ‘I do’!
1. Once you know roughly when you would like to tie the knot, look at venues immediately. The great ones get booked up way in advance and you may want to tweak your date based on the availability of your ideal venue.
2. Order your dress. You would not think it would take that long to make a dress but most top designers are operating with a backlog and your order could take a few months to a year to get done. This is such an exciting part anyway, why wait!
3. Start your beauty regime. It takes several months to start seeing results so whether its laser hair removal, luxury facials or hair treatments, get on it!
4. Book your makeup artist. You obviously want to look your best on the most important day of your life. Make sure you ask friends for recommendations and check out the portfolios and visit the studios of your top choices. Get a trial if possible or opt for party makeup for another event to serve as a trial.
5. Research ideas online. There is so much information available to help you decide what kind of decor you want, the dress that screams you, what entertainment your guests would like, and all the wonderful things you could buy under the umbrella of wedding shopping! Check out pinterest and online stores to look through collections of top Pakistani Designers all in one place.
Whatever you do, don’t take too much stress and get your friends and family to pitch in as much as possible! Remember, it’s YOUR wedding so YOU should have the most fun!!
It’s that time of year when we all start thinking about what we will wear for eid. This year, I got my act together fast, maybe I’m becoming more efficient as the years go on, or perhaps I’m just very excited! Everything gets chaotic towards the end so I spent a few solid hours late night browsing on the internet and ordered this amazing outfit by Silk by Fawad Khan.
Why this one?
1. Really wanted a knee length dress
2. Love the summer jackets trend and this one is just stunning!
3. I’ve been told red is my colour, though it works well with most desi skin tones🙂
I’m going to match it with my silver chanel boy (recent splurge), this gorgeous ring I picked out from L’atelier’s Online Store (it’s by Hamna Amir) and my dependable nude strappy heels by Dior. The only thing missing? Some arm candy, for which I’m headed to the Eid Bazaar at L’atelier Lahore tomorrow!!
So, what will you be wearing?
Heres our simple guide to help you put together the perfect outfit easier and faster.
1. Reorganise your wardrobe by first throwing everything out and making piles by category. Then work through each pile, adding anything you haven’t worn for over a year to the charity pile, it’s all about quality not quantity.
2. Iron and hang the majority of your clothes so its easy to see what you have. Ironing at this stage will save you time in your daily routine. Consider replacing a single hanging rail with a double one or add an additional rail if possible.
3. Use boxes to break up big shelves into sections and divide your clothes by genre so that everything has a specific home. You can even label the boxes and pile them up.
4. Add shoe racks for heels and hanging shoe racks for flats for maximum space utilisation. If you must use shoe boxes, take a pic of the shoes and stick it on the side of the box!
5. Display your everyday jewellery on jewellery display units on your dressing table or in a drawer so that you remember what you have.
Lastly, make sure you have a full length mirror in your room so that you can see the full look before you step out and don’t forget that selfie!!
They don’t call it retail therapy for no reason! Accordingly to a study in the US, treating yourself to something nice at the shops has a ‘lasting positive impact on mood’ and leaves ‘few if any negative emotional side-effects’. The study, published in the Journal of Psychology and Marketing in the U.S., concluded: ‘Retail therapy purchases were overwhelmingly beneficial, leading to mood boosts and no regrets or guilt.’
The study noted that 28% of shoppers had purchased something to celebrate an occasion or personal victory and 62% to cheer themselves up. Items bought that have been targeted for a while, wanted and anticipated tend to provide the most happiest.
This same conclusion was reached by Selin Atalay and Margaret Meloy, faculty of HEC Paris and Penn State, respectively. In three separate studies on retail therapy they discovered that subjects used indulgent purchases to elevate their mood, and that participants with a low mood at the outset tend to consume more.
It also appears that retail therapy might not be an out-of-control activity, after all! A group of 69 students were asked to complete a retrospective record of consumption over a two-week period to document purchasing behavior, mood and regrets. The researchers discovered that the items bought to repair mood were around half the value of those bought to celebrate!
Finally, in a recent study commissioned by online retailer eBates.com in March 2013, TNS Global found that roughly half of Americans surveyed shopped to improve their mood. Women tend to spend most on clothes and the main reasons cited for engaging in retail therapy were to improve their mood after a bad day at work (18.9%), after hearing bad news (14.6%), and after a fight with their significant other (12.2%)! This led eBates.com CEO Kevin H. Johnson to conclude that “shopping truly is ‘therapy’ for many people, and can help raise one’s spirits after a bad day.” Importantly, the subjects felt that their retail therapy purchases were generally beneficial and that they felt no regret.
We all know the feeling of a great blow-dry; returning home from the salon, still in our day clothes but already feeling like a million dollars. If you are ever trying a new stylist because you are in a different city, or your preferred stylist is no longer available, or you simply believe your hair has the potential to look better, here are our top 10 tips!
1. Put the dagger on the table immediately. Tell the hairstylist up front that you are particular about your hair and specifically want x,y,z results.
2. Use a volumising spray for more lift at the roots.
3. Blow dry the front first and then backwards to the nape of your neck as opposed to the other way round. This allows the most important bit framing your face to set in for longer.
4. Use hair clips to hold each rolled up strand in place instead of opening it right away.
5. Blow cold air on the hair once pinned up and leave to set for 5 minutes before taking off any of the clips.
6. Throw your head down, shake up the curls and throw your head back, for more natural waves.
7. A little back combing and hair spray never kill anyone. If you have coarse hair you can probably do without it but for finer hair, acknowledge how quickly it becomes flat and take the necessary precautions.
8. Look after your hair by taking regular multi vitamins, hot oil and protein treatments so that your hair always looks glossy and healthy.
9. Use dry shampoo on day 2 or 3 of your blow-dry to make the results last longer!
10. Ask your friends for recommendations of a good stylist they trust, try Salon@ L’atelier in F8/3 if you are ever in Islamabad.
Remember, there is more to life than hair but its a good start! :)
The latest revolution in shopping in Desi land is the escalation of Online Shopping in Pakistan and by Pakistanis abroad. If you have been missing out on this phenomenon, here are 5 good reasons why you shouldn’t!!
1. Peace of mind in selection thanks to detailed info on outfits available, including material, measurements, multiple pics.
2. Secure payment gateways so you can be sure your money wont go missing.
3. Greater ease of communication with live chat facilities and free skype calls.
4. Fast delivery in 3-5 days, anywhere in the world.
5. Cash on delivery available in Pakistan. If you are abroad and visit / have visitors often, simply ship directly to a family address for only $2!!
Don’t take our word for it, try it for yourself! http://www.latelier-pk.com